Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Tuesday, settling in

Tuesday was a much calmer day. Same breakfast as the day before, and lunch was warmed up supper from Monday, which was rice mixed with vegetables. Supper we each had a potato and broccoli/cauliflower. No sour cream, no cheese sauce. The odd thing was they all agreed "can we have this tomorrow?"

First thing in the AM, Mercy came in saying in the night she was hungry and was really hungry come breakfast time. I asked her if she'd ever thought that billions of kids around the world have that feeling in their stomach every day of their life. She was thoughtful as she walked away.

Taylor on the other hand doesn't help when he says "so dad, wanna sneak off and get a Fat Boy" or "hey dad, imagine some juicy oven baked sweet and sour meatballs on this rice eh?". He's very cruel as you can see. :o)

I forgot to mention how on Monday evening, Laura had been staring off across the river, while ignoring what I was saying. I said she wasn't paying attention and she said "I don't care what you're saying...all i can think about is 'give me some meat'!" Had a good laugh.

I have to say the spirit of the kids is quite good. Watching two of my kids last night, who are often like oil and water, pouring over a Where's Waldo book, without any harsh words, was something to behold. I'm interested to see how having "nothing to do", sends T to pour over a 500 piece puzzle for hrs. All of the kids taking my Sticky Tack and making all sorts of designs and shapes. (some I made them quickly destroy :o)

In the afternoon when I came up to the house, I thought maybe we'd been taking this thing too far, as I saw the kids throwing a rope over a branch, only to my relief to find they were making a swing. Phew!

Last evening was finding them reading, doing a puzzle, looking at Waldo books, and little if any conflict...hmmm.

Laura has been pouring over books, which for her is a new thing, as she normally can't concentrate with 4 kids chattering, and me of course sitting quietly by...well...possibly adding a comment or two. :)

day 2 was a success, although I will admit that I found it strange while praying for my/our food...was almost expecting the kids to snicker while I thanked God for this good food. Stranger yet, I questioned if I really believed it...

1 comment:

  1. Paul, I'm enjoying reading this,what a great idea - wish I'd though of something like this when we had small children....
    don't know that I feel the need to do it now though - :)
    claudette

    ReplyDelete