Monday, August 16, 2010

so what's the deal??

I've had a lot of questions from people asking for the root cause of my decision to take this endeavor with my family. (for the record, no one is moping around the house, feeling abused) There is a trend I've recognized, and that is the one that goes something like this. "you know Bob, you've worked really hard. You deserve a break". So off Bob goes on his trip to Mexico. While there, all he can think about is how hard he's worked this past year, in order to deserve such a nice vacation. He saved his money, worked some extra hours to make it happen, and low and behold, its all come back to him now as a well deserved break.

Take John for a moment though. He believes that every good thing he has comes from God, and that if in fact he got what he really deserved, he'd be without anything good. That means every good smell, good taste, good feeling, good things to look at, good friends, good sunshine, and for that matter, good trips to Mexico would never happen.

These two wind up at the same resort in the beautiful vacation spot of Mexico. The first morning, all Bob can do is notice that there's no orange juice at the buffet. John on the other hand was blown away that there was a guy making your omelet for you while you wait! for someone who has been blessed with this trip, and is counting his blessings each day, that's a big deal!

Bob notices that two days in a row the towel boy has made him wait for a towel. John can't help chuckling to himself, and is speechless that he can take a wet towel back and get a dry one, even attempting it twice one day and they were happy to accommodate him. Seems so...excessively generous!

Bob is very frustrated at this point as you will quite well imagine, and is having words with the front desk. He's made to go down to the lobby for his massage as they don't come up to the room! This will be the last time he wastes his money on this dump! John...sweet John, was blown away by the free 10 minute massage they gave him in the lobby when he arrived, with the water right in front of him the whole time crashing on the beach. (the masseuse felt a little awkward as John kept giggling)

You probably get my point. What I'm not saying is a real Christian doesn't take nice vacations. What I'm not saying is there aren't times you're disappointed, but what I am saying is that when each of us catches a glimpse of where we'd be without God, now or later, truly weighs up where God has blessed us to be born, with the ability to work, earn, and be educated non the less, it will transform the way we ACT while we experience God's goodness.

My desire is that I teach my kids that what they have, they don't deserve, but God in his goodness, seeing fit to bless us with so much more than literally billions of other people, is just that good to us for some unknown reason.

thanks for reading...i feel blessed. :)

4 comments:

  1. awesome explanation Paul!! thanks for helping us to be more aware of the blessings around us daily. My glass is definately half full!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really surprised that you named Bob Guenther so openly. . . a little embarrassing for him. I do thank you for calling me Bob so that people would be thrown off. When you are done the week with your family, you can take my kids for the next one. Funny, eh????

    ReplyDelete
  3. of course I meant . . . thanks for calling me John.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok. Now I know the story and I'm equally as touched. What an awesome lesson to really teach your family in this self-absorbed 'you're worth it' society. I'm eager to follow the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete